The dedication and commitment of our volunteers make 4-H Youth Development possible. Volunteers generously offer their time, expertise and provide support for hundreds of 4-H programs all over Ohio.
There is no specific age requirement to be a 4-H Volunteer. Youth Volunteers, with the emotional maturity and leadership ability necessary to function in a volunteer role, are important partners in Ohio 4-H programs.
Ohio 4-H works with a variety of individuals, with differing interests, skills and abilities, as 4-H volunteers.
All volunteer applicants who will work directly with youth must:
- Complete the Ohio 4-H Volunteer Application Form (Fillable / Printable).
- Read the Ohio State University Extension Youth Protection Policy.
- Read and sign the Ohio 4-H Volunteer Standards of Behavior (found on the back of the 4-H Volunteer Enrollment Form).
- Recieve and review a Volunteer Job Description explaining volunteer rights and responsibilities.
- Attend a mandatory Volunteer Training (dates are below).
- Complete a fingerprint background screening (must attend Volunteer Training before getting a background check). If you have had a background screening within 12 months of your Volunteer application, you may be able to use it. In order to use a previous background screening, the reason must be for the "care and custody of minors". You may send a letter to BCI requesting a copy of your screening be sent to the State 4-H Office.
For more information on becoming a 4-H Volunteer you can contact the Scioto County Extension Office at 740-354-7879.
New Advisor/Volunteer Trainings
All trainings will be held in the OSU Scioto County Extension Office
located at 602 Seventh Street, Courthouse Room #7
Portsmouth, OH 45662
(we are locate in the basement of the courthosue)
If you are planning to attend a training, you MUST call to register by 4:30 pm the day before the training is scheduled.
2019-2020 Training Dates
12/19/2019 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM
1/21/2020 9:30 AM - Noon
2/17/2020 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM
2/17/2020 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
3/12/2020 9:30 AM - Noon
3/12/2020 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
*4/4/2019 9:30 AM - Noon
*Training will be held at the New Boston Community Center